June is Dairy Month - the perfect time for ice cream and cheese! Did you know that the average American eats more than 30 pounds of cheese per year, and that cheese has seen the most amount of demand growth in the dairy industry?
Farm Credit is proud to recognize several dairy producers in the Producing Excellence Program, including:
- Homestead Creamery owners and Farm Credit of the Virginia’s customers Donnie Montgomery and David Bower who expanded their 200-cow operation into a processing, retail and delivery operation where they sell more than 20 flavors of ice cream.
- Badgerland Financial customers Bob & Mary Ihlenfeld (Westbend, Wisc.), whose 3,000 acre dairy farm was featured in country music star Toby Keith’s 2011 video, “Made in America.”
- Si-Ellen Farms: As owners of close to 20,000 dairy cows, the Roth family at Si-Ellen farms works around the clock, 365 days a year, milking thousands of cows each day.
To see all of the dairy profiles in the Producing Excellence program, visit the dairy page.
Our good friends at America’s Heartlandalso keep track of interesting stories in the dairy industry, as well as facts like these:
- Dairy farms are mostly family run and over the years the amount of milk they produce has increased while the number of cows and farms has decreased.
- Only 10 states account for more than 71 percent of total U.S. production of milk. Most dairy cows in the U.S. are Holsteins, characterized by their colors of black and white or red and white.
- Top dairy producing states are: California, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Minnesota, New Mexico, Michigan, Texas, and Washington
If you’re looking for more information during Dairy Month, you’ll find great resources from the National Dairy Council and the USDA.
Have a dairy story to share? Tell us about it, or submit a Producing Excellence profile.